PG City Watch
Join our citizen-led effort to defend our communities in Pacific Grove
BREAKING (Jan.13): The militia-affiliated officer that PG City Watch has been working to hold to account…is GONE!!! This is a people-powered victory that shows that when work together to demand safer communities — we can win them!
The cadre of people who supported the storming of state capitols across the country are *not* welcome to patrol in Monterey County. However, there is *still* not a strong commitment from PG City Council to an investigation of the department, our second demand. The struggle to defend our communities continues.
A special shout out to Community Before Cops and to everyone who signed the petition and showed up to City Council!
Watch the PGPD Chief’s announcement:
In the news:
- January 13, 2021: Pacific Grove Police officer linked to anti-government group no longer with the department, chief announces via video (Monterey County Weekly)
- January 13, 2021: Decoding the Far-Right Symbols at the Capitol Riot (New York Times)
- December 3, 2020: Pacific Grove police chief comes under fire over investigation (Monterey Herald)
- December 3, 2020: America’s Last Hometown reckons with an ugly past–and an ugly present (Monterey County Weekly)
- November 29, 2020: Press release: Alleged social media post by police officer (City of Pacific Grove)
- October 6, 2020: Officer behavior prompts Pacific Grove official to want review commission (Monterey Herald)
- September 3, 2020: Statement from the Chief (City of Pacific Grove)
- July 22, 2020: After a P.G. cop’s window decals reveal affiliation with a hate group, a new subcommittee convenes (Monterey County Weekly)
- June 18, 2020: Pacific Grove police describe use of force with public (Monterey County Herald)
- June 10, 2020: Pacific Grove police officer under review; His personal car had anti-government sticker (Monterey County Herald)
- June 4, 2020: Pacific Grove PD removes an officer for affiliation with a militia group (Monterey County Weekly)
Three Percenters, a racist anti-government militia and identified hate group, have been discovered within the Pacific Grove Police Department.
In late May 2020 Pacific Grove residents observed the officer’s personal vehicle emblazoned with Three Percenters racist anti-government militia and anti-LGBT decals, parked in the City’s employee parking lot.
Although widely reported by local news media, the officer has faced no disciplinary action, and is currently patrolling our streets while enjoying the protection Chief Cathy Madalone.
Why is this important?
Allowing anti-government militia to infiltrate and operate within the Police Department:
- Endangers the citizens of Pacific Grove
- Is a liability to the City
- Violates PGPD’s Law Enforcement Officer Code of Ethics
- Undermines the credibility of the Police Department as a whole
As residents, employees, visitors, and tax payers in the City of Pacific Grove, we deserve to feel safe and protected. We will not be policed by anti-government militia.
What decals were displayed on the officer’s vehicle?
From left to right:
Three-Percenters: An American far-right militia movement and paramilitary group advocating armed resistance to the U.S. federal government. In recent years with Trump’s presidency they have directed their hostility at other perceived foes including Muslims and immigrants. Three Percenters have been active in the resistance to Black Lives Matter protests over the May 2020 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. They have a history of criminal activity, ranging from weapons violations to terrorist plots and attacks, and provided security for white supremacists during the Charlottesville, Virginia protests. (Learn more about the Three Percenters from the Anti-Defamation League.)
“LIBERTY, GUN, BEER, TRUMP” (LGBT): This decal mocks and marginalizes the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. (Learn more about Liberty Gun Beer Trump imagery from NBC News.)
Punisher/“Molon Labe”: Molon Labe meaning “come and take [them]” is a classic expression of armed defiance to the government. Gun-rights advocates have adopted the phrase as a challenge to the perceived threat of governmental firearms confiscation. (Learn more about the Punisher from the Daily News, Task & Purpose, and Truthout.)
In November 2020, we discovered more evidence of the officer’s hateful, extremist beliefs–a verified Parler account. The account “@MAGS3PER” contained damaging information that confirms this officer’s beliefs with posts such as “FUCK ‘BLACK LIVES MATTER’” and “Free Kyle Rittenhouse.” See screenshots of his full Parler account history below (or download the PDF).
We shared this information with a member of the PG City Council and then, we presume, it was shared with the Chief. Mysteriously only hours after we contacted the city councilmember, the officer’s Parler account was deleted. At the same time, his Facebook account was deleted.
Chief Madalone held a press conference on the matter. At the conference, the Chief announced that the officer has again been placed on paid administrative leave while a second investigation will be conducted. During the press conference she also made efforts to minimize the severity and number of his Parler posts and suggested that the account could have been created by an impersonator. As you can see from the screenshots, there was more than one offensive post. In addition, the account underwent the Parler Citizen Verification, which requires the account holder to take photos front and back of a government-issued ID along with a selfie using a webcam. The account handle mentions “3per” referring to Three Percenters, an organization whom he claimed to be unfamiliar with during the first investigation.
The Chief’s pattern of defending the officer in question continues as she hides behind ignorance to his behavior in her small department.
What can I do?
1. Sign the petition
Contact the mayor and city council
2. Tell your neighbors
Help me remove a hate group affiliated officer from the Pacific Grove Police Department. Learn more and sign the petitionTweet
Created by concerned residents of Pacific Grove, California.